2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

My screwed up idle thread (epic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 12:20 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My screwed up idle thread (epic)

A little background:

I fished out an old TII from a junkyard a few weeks back. Managed to get it complete for $700. Some of you might think I am crazy, but that car is worth twice that in parts, which was my original plan. THEN I got into the car and realized that it was in a WHOLE lot better shape that I had figured.

Make a long story short, its a 100% original TII that runs and pulls like MAD. Not too mention every peice of electronics on it works. So I am thinking of keeping it, but the problem is, it WONT IDLE.

So in J-Rats befuddled and alcohol fueled mind, I decided that no FC will ever beat me in a battle of wits, and I proceeded to tackle the problem. Here is whats been done already:

AFM: Swapped out
ECU: Swapped out
TPS: Checked
Injectors: cleaned
Fuel tank: replaced
Fuel Pump: replaced
Oil: Changed
AWS: Eliminated
Fuel Filters: Changed
Air Pump: Re-installed
Codes Pulled
TID Checked (its perfect)
Bad vac lines all replaced

I finally got it to idle (LIKE CRAP) at around 1200 or so, and then it hit me, after 3 weeks of fiddling with this, I never checked for intake leaks with Carb Cleaner (my preferred method). So I started spraying, and lo and behold, once I hit the EGR area, the damn idle jumps to 3000 almost INSTANTLY.

So here is where I am at now.. I replaced the EGR with another one, and the same problem exists (two bad EGRs?). So I am going to ACE to get some sheet metal and I am making a damn block-off plate. You cant even GET new EGRs from Mazda, so if the emissions guy bitches at me, I am telling him to take it up with MANA.

Unlike 99% of the rest of the threads in this section, I will be SURE to post what fixes my problem.

BTW, stock ECU powered cars SUCK!!
Old 01-25-07, 12:41 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
Injector o-rings? The primary injector o-rings might not be sealing and allowing an intake leak. Or like you suggest, it could in fact be two bad EGR valves.
Old 01-25-07, 12:49 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by Aaron Cake
Injector o-rings? The primary injector o-rings might not be sealing and allowing an intake leak. Or like you suggest, it could in fact be two bad EGR valves.

Yeah, those are brand new too! They were replaced when I took the injectors to be cleaned and flowed. I rechecked everything too, because I have pinched one before.
Old 01-25-07, 01:03 PM
Rotaries confuse me

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if you sprayed your EGR and it caused the idle to change, I would guess it's the EGR. Considering it's a ~20 year old part it wouldn't surprise me if you got 2 bad ones.
Old 01-25-07, 01:23 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Yep, just got back from the hardware store.. Got some aluminum plate and some blades... Going to make a block off plate.

Taking off the UIM for the sixth time in a week.. Yay....

Last edited by J-Rat; 01-25-07 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 01:54 PM
FD Daily

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
also did you check timing?
Old 01-25-07, 01:58 PM
Rotaries confuse me

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J-Rat
Yep, just got back from the hardware store.. Got some aluminum plate and some blades... Going to make a block off plate.

Taking off the UIM for the sixth time in a week
.. Yay....
I'm going to assume that sucks on a TII. For me it's 2 vacuum lines, 2(?) plugs, throttle cable, 4 nuts, and 1 bolt. Not exactly time consuming. Although 6 times even for me would be annoying.
Old 01-25-07, 02:02 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by FBDrifter
also did you check timing?
Affirmative... Removed the CAS, tested it, cleaned it, and restabbed it I.A.W. the FSM. Only issue here is the car wont idle under 1200, so verifying the timing is impossible.

Good call! I should have added that to my list of things I already did!
Old 01-25-07, 02:02 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by My5ABaby
I'm going to assume that sucks on a TII. For me it's 2 vacuum lines, 2(?) plugs, throttle cable, 4 nuts, and 1 bolt. Not exactly time consuming. Although 6 times even for me would be annoying.
Its a little more involved in a TII. Not what I would consider to be a major project, just terrifically annoying after about the third or fourth time...
Old 01-25-07, 02:19 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Oh, and the compression checked good, lets clear that one up too while we are at it.

Rat
Old 01-25-07, 03:54 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Angry Oh really....

Just discovered that the cold start assist is working, and not to well at that.

Just ripped that crap out...
Old 01-25-07, 04:41 PM
Rotary Power

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by J-Rat
A little background:

I fished out an old TII from a junkyard a few weeks back. Managed to get it complete for $700. Some of you might think I am crazy, but that car is worth twice that in parts, which was my original plan. THEN I got into the car and realized that it was in a WHOLE lot better shape that I had figured.

Make a long story short, its a 100% original TII that runs and pulls like MAD. Not too mention every peice of electronics on it works. So I am thinking of keeping it, but the problem is, it WONT IDLE.

So in J-Rats befuddled and alcohol fueled mind, I decided that no FC will ever beat me in a battle of wits, and I proceeded to tackle the problem. Here is whats been done already:

AFM: Swapped out
ECU: Swapped out
TPS: Checked
Injectors: cleaned
Fuel tank: replaced
Fuel Pump: replaced
Oil: Changed
AWS: Eliminated
Fuel Filters: Changed
Air Pump: Re-installed
Codes Pulled
TID Checked (its perfect)
Bad vac lines all replaced

I finally got it to idle (LIKE CRAP) at around 1200 or so, and then it hit me, after 3 weeks of fiddling with this, I never checked for intake leaks with Carb Cleaner (my preferred method). So I started spraying, and lo and behold, once I hit the EGR area, the damn idle jumps to 3000 almost INSTANTLY.

So here is where I am at now.. I replaced the EGR with another one, and the same problem exists (two bad EGRs?). So I am going to ACE to get some sheet metal and I am making a damn block-off plate. You cant even GET new EGRs from Mazda, so if the emissions guy bitches at me, I am telling him to take it up with MANA.

Unlike 99% of the rest of the threads in this section, I will be SURE to post what fixes my problem.

BTW, stock ECU powered cars SUCK!!
$700 bucks for a running complete tII ?? How can you be nuts ?? I think youd be nuts not to buy it!!

Good luck!
Old 01-25-07, 04:56 PM
Mac Attack

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you check the grounds?
Old 01-25-07, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that cold start idle up on the throtle body stuck?ya know the one I'm talking about,the one with the coolant lines on it?I'm not being a smart *** here either,I can't remember the technical name right now sometimes after sitting a while they get all crappy and stick and won't retract with eng warm,it's happened to me with junkyard cars,that are perfect other than vac lines and all the normal stuff.....just an idea....and yeah six times taking the UIM of gets old,but $700 what a ******* steal that's sweet!!!
Old 01-25-07, 07:04 PM
ole blue

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the cause of it not holding an idle?? mine wont hold any idle & stalls but it is n/a...leaning towards brake vac. leak.
Old 01-25-07, 08:12 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by MaczPayne
Did you check the grounds?

Yes sir, all grounds present and looking good!
Old 01-25-07, 08:14 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by loskeezy
What was the cause of it not holding an idle?? mine wont hold any idle & stalls but it is n/a...leaning towards brake vac. leak.
Still havent started it after deleting the EGR valve. Had to go to another town to look at another FC. Just got back.
Old 01-25-07, 08:27 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lots of stupid **** back there...
There's like two idle solenoids and the vacuum line back to the brake booster.
Also tons of vacuum lines...FPR...TB...oil injection...etc.

-Ted
Old 01-25-07, 08:40 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by RETed
Lots of stupid **** back there...
There's like two idle solenoids and the vacuum line back to the brake booster.
Also tons of vacuum lines...FPR...TB...oil injection...etc.

-Ted

Tell me about it.. Everytime I have to remove that cork soaking UIM I cant help but get a little mad..
Old 01-25-07, 09:41 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Well, the EGR is no fix.. Still idles like crap.. BETTER, but still like crap. I can spray Carb cleaner in the areas of the LIM and the oil injectors (under the UIM) and get it to idle up, so now I am going to pull up the UIM (again....), and re-do all the vac lines. While I am at it, it looks like I am going to yank the LIM and re-gasket it. Going to also pull up the injectors and re-inspect them. What a nightmare...
Old 01-25-07, 10:06 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts
Did you check to make sure the anti-afterburn valve on the ACV (if you've still got it) isn't busted? Bypass the Relief solenoid straight to a vacuum source and this will disable it... if the idle changes when hook it straight to vacuum I'd say that's one of your problems.
Old 01-25-07, 10:18 PM
7th Heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
afm
Old 01-25-07, 10:25 PM
Mac Attack

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
How about checking the ignition coils? Maybe swap them with a set that worked perfect in another car?
Old 01-25-07, 10:26 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Did you check to make sure the anti-afterburn valve on the ACV (if you've still got it) isn't busted? Bypass the Relief solenoid straight to a vacuum source and this will disable it... if the idle changes when hook it straight to vacuum I'd say that's one of your problems.
would this explain how the idle runs up if I spray carb cleaner under the UIM?
Old 01-25-07, 10:27 PM
Alcohol Fueled!

Originally Posted by MaczPayne
How about checking the ignition coils? Maybe swap them with a set that worked perfect in another car?
Again, this would not explain the idle run up while the car is sprayed with carb cleaner. I also verified spark on all wires...

Quick Reply: My screwed up idle thread (epic)