1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Anybody use seafoam on a rotary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use seafoam on a rotary?

Seafoam is one of those engine cleaners, anybody used it on a rotary with any type of opinion on it?
Old 05-31-06, 04:39 PM

Never used it on a rotary myself, but if you do, be prepared for a wicked smoke screen. I believe there are threads about this already, but too lazy to search myself.
Old 05-31-06, 04:54 PM
Old Fart Young at Heart

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seafoam is a go Thunderbirds.
Old 05-31-06, 05:01 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea good stuff! I just added a bottle/can to my tank and ran it until empty! Smoother running motor! Cleaned the carbon out. Definitly recommend! I premix so I use dump a can at every oil change to clean out any carbon build up!
Old 05-31-06, 05:06 PM

seafoam=good ****
Old 05-31-06, 05:28 PM
a.k.a TheLatinHeat

I have used Seafoam before to clean my engine up. I had a bit of gas and put a entire bottle in. Ran the hell out of the car like if I stole it. Then put a full tank of gas with some RedLine and I was good to go. The car ran so good that I even notices some performance gain from it.

Not to meantion, I also did an oil change, fuel filter, sparkplug change and sparkplug wire and it was pretty much a all around tune-up for the car. It did like that so much that any idle problem I had was fix easy. Even gave me better gas miles from doing all that so I do recommend it.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-06, 05:32 PM
7-less

You only get a smoke screen if you have the intake suck it in. However, you don't want to do that with a rotary because it's pointless. Just stick it in a 1/4 tank of gas, run the hell outta it, and you'll be good to go. I've done it twice, and I love it, and my Rex loves it.
Old 05-31-06, 09:22 PM
Have RX-7, will restore

Received 1,049 Likes on 889 Posts
great stuff. that stuff will take the stripes right off of a tiger! works wonders for carbon removal and for cleaning.
Old 05-31-06, 11:23 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Works great. Welcome to the forum, but I'll tell you right now you're going to want to get familiar with that search button. A quick search would have turned up a whole bunch of threads on this subject. Always search first, ask questions later.
Old 05-31-06, 11:34 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
Just did it ..Two Days ago..Yee-Hah!..uh..Seafoam in the Engine,I mean!!..There is a noticeable Improvement..NOW, it accelerates Smoother,quicker,and Starts a bit better.I put one can in with Two gallons of Fuel and, as Kenetsu Said"drive it ,like ya stole it!!"..Works..(edit..I remember him sayin it anyhow..and sorry for Misspelling Kentetsu..my bad!)

Last edited by misterstyx69; 05-31-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 12:29 AM
keep it original!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yup he said that in my first thread 'c-foam'. do a search and there are many threads about SeaFoam. welcome to the forum and good luck and have fun with your new addiction
Old 06-01-06, 01:26 AM
Old Fart Young at Heart

Originally Posted by 85 FB
You only get a smoke screen if you have the intake suck it in. However, you don't want to do that with a rotary because it's pointless. Just stick it in a 1/4 tank of gas, run the hell outta it, and you'll be good to go. I've done it twice, and I love it, and my Rex loves it.
And why is it pointless? It works quite well to quickly remove carbon from the combustion chamber. The trick is to suck 1/2 of the can in as quicly as possile, shut the engine down, let it soak and soften the carbon, then fire it up and run the rest of the can through.

While it doesn't clean the fuel system, carb or injectors, it does one hell of a job on the housings, rotors and seals.
Old 06-01-06, 01:57 AM
add to cart

CArmen has been sitting for a while. I may seafoam her just to clear the engine of any potential carbon problems, as she's got Pam's powerpack in her now.
Old 06-01-06, 02:04 AM
The Shadetree Project

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fawking amazing stuff there! It felt like it freed up 10 whp. It went from barly chirping second to chirping third on my old engine...
Old 06-01-06, 02:07 AM
add to cart

How do pissedon engines react to Seafoam?
Old 06-01-06, 06:58 AM
Have RX-7, will restore

Received 1,049 Likes on 889 Posts
seafoam bathes piston engines. it removes carbon from the piston and the rings as well as from the intake manifold. it will make a smoke screen in a piston engine if you suck the seafoam in through a vaccume line when the engine is running.
Old 06-01-06, 07:46 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Yea I also use it on my pick up truck (piston) and again the stuff is awesome!
Old 06-01-06, 11:51 AM
7-less

Originally Posted by trochoid
And why is it pointless? It works quite well to quickly remove carbon from the combustion chamber. The trick is to suck 1/2 of the can in as quicly as possile, shut the engine down, let it soak and soften the carbon, then fire it up and run the rest of the can through.

While it doesn't clean the fuel system, carb or injectors, it does one hell of a job on the housings, rotors and seals.

Hey, I'm just quoting from what others have said in previous SeaFoam posts how that's meant for the valvetrain and since rotary engines do not have a valvetrain, you should really only focus on the gas tank. I wouldn't say this unless someone else has, yet at the time I WANTED to stick it in the intake until some said it's not that beneficial.
Old 06-01-06, 12:41 PM
add to cart

can't seem to find it in Canada
Old 06-01-06, 12:45 PM
Too old to act my age

If you can't get the seafoam, another option is Berryman B12 in the pour thru can. Very similar stuff, but more often found.
Old 06-01-06, 12:59 PM
add to cart

Found the intkae spray version at NAPA, but no gas additive version.
Old 06-01-06, 01:48 PM
Amish Gangsta

Originally Posted by TheLatinHeat

Not to meantion, I also did an oil change, fuel filter, sparkplug change and sparkplug wire and it was pretty much a all around tune-up for the car. It did like that so much that any idle problem I had was fix easy. Even gave me better gas miles from doing all that so I do recommend it.
How do you know seafoam was the catalyst for your findings when you changed 4 other items? Your results could have been from the new oil change, sparkplugs, wires, etc..
Old 06-01-06, 03:13 PM
Can You Wankel?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I did used the Seafoam with about 1/8th tank of gas and drove the sh*t out of it. It really works. I thought that my car might be low on compression. I previously had not driven the car for about 3 years.

So the couple of time I drove the car around before the Seafoam the car felt gutless and I thought I needed a rebuild. But after the Seafoam all I can say is WOW After smashing around a couple corner I suddunly got a boost of power and my 7 was back to its normal self this stuff really works.

And all I did was put it in the gas tank I didnt even do the second part of using it through a vacumm hose. What ever was causing my 7 to Lag got knocked off after using the Seafaom Just try it its only like $5.00 and I have'nt felt any negative affects from it.

It gets a 2 thumbs up from me
Old 06-01-06, 03:16 PM
Old Fart Young at Heart

Originally Posted by 85 FB
Hey, I'm just quoting from what others have said in previous SeaFoam posts how that's meant for the valvetrain and since rotary engines do not have a valvetrain, you should really only focus on the gas tank. I wouldn't say this unless someone else has, yet at the time I WANTED to stick it in the intake until some said it's not that beneficial.
Not trying to bag on you. If one wants to do a quick, heavy cleaning of the combustion chamber, especially to unstick a seal, suck it in a vacuum line. If one wants to clean the entire fuel system and combustion chamber slowly, add it to the fuel tank.

Sucking it in a vacuum line, if one wants to clean the carb, would be pointless. Fair enough?
Old 06-01-06, 03:39 PM
It Runs!

Hey manntis, have NAPA order it for you. THey can get it in cases of 6 at a time. I used to work there. The spray will work similar, but not as good. Awesome for starting, cleaning, and penetrating though!

Quick Reply: Anybody use seafoam on a rotary?