Power FC Forum Apex Power FC Support and Questions.

Power FC New software for Power FC users! FCWatch preview.

Old 04-24-06, 11:04 AM
ky7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New software for Power FC users! FCWatch preview.

Some of you may be aware that I have been working on new software for the Apexi Power FC.. well here it is!

At this stage, things are nearing completion for a full release. For those of you who don't know what this software is for, basically it is a graphical, interactive and highly customisable alternative for those who are looking for something better than the Apexi Commander unit and its limited display functionality.

The software uses a plugin architecture, allowing users to create their own unique data displays. A default set of plugins will be available for those wishing to just get stuck into using the software.

Plugins are programmable. What this means is you can create unique, interactive displays to suit your exact needs. With this approach, how you display or interact with data streaming from your PFC is entirely up to you.. the possabilities are endless!

FCWatch also has built in logging functionality, which allows you to log all data seamlessly. Ideal for CarPC applications, where you can use full screen mode to display data graphically while simultaneously logging data on a continuous basis. There's nothing stopping you using this software while logging a run also! You can export logs for further analysis at a later stage.

In future I will be releasing this software for other Apexi platforms, including possibly other manufacturer platforms - Haltech, Motec etc.

There is a host of additional features, but for now I'm just making the announcement. FCWatch will be available very soon. For anybody who would like to get involved in testing or if you are interested please make yourself, your thoughts and your comments known on this thread, or PM me, whichever suits!

C.

Old 04-24-06, 12:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Looks very nice. I started something silimiar (though not as polished) several years ago but never finished. There's been a need for something like this for a long time.

I assume the scale of the gauges is configurable (celcius vs fahrenheit, psi vs kg^cm2, etc)?

For the tech nerds in the audience, with what language are you developing this? Are the gauges fixed graphics with code to move the needle? I was using flash animations inside the interface to get smooth needle movement.

One useful feature you might consider: if you know the rate at which you log data you can provide a "playback" feature. This would be a helpful for analysis.

Good job!
Old 04-24-06, 06:06 PM
sdrawkcab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is exactly what I was asking of fasthatch!
A user definable graphical interface.
This will be a very nice feature for the carputer crowd!

I use this method from the datalogit box on almost every outing, and with its watch boxes set at a usable size the features to turn options on and off are very cumbersome, and hardly accessible unless you leave exact holes in between the watch boxes, and drag the menu to where it can be accessed.

Very poorly thought out for my application!

I hope this remedies these problems, and I love the professional look of this as well instead of the pre win98 motif!

When will this be available?
Cost?

Will this be available in a 800x600 as well as a 800 x 480

Very impressed that you did this, and grateful!
Thank you
Old 04-24-06, 06:14 PM
sdrawkcab

May I also ask how will this interface with the PFC?
Through the datalogit or independent hardware?
Will there be any issue running each simultaneously?
Old 04-24-06, 06:29 PM
sdrawkcab

And just a few suggestions, (kinda hard not to come up with something when your staring and drooling over the software already)

Would it be possible to have integrated logic to make a unit conversion from Kg/cm^2 to Psi ? Celsius to Fahrenheit, ect. ?

And maybe unlit bars with halos, or dimly lit bars for the existing range of the knock spectrum. And perhaps timed peak holds in a differing color?

Just some thoughts

Last edited by rotarypower101; 04-24-06 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 06:37 PM
Powered by** Rotary

That looks beautifull... I can't wait to test it out...

Amel
Old 04-24-06, 06:37 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Will it allow us to use the Anti lag/Two step?
Old 04-24-06, 07:05 PM
Mad Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will it be useable by a PDA. If so is there a way to just display the values in a format such as below?

AFR XX.X
Boost XX.X Max XX.X
Knock XX Max XX
WTemp XX.X Max XX.X
ATemp XX.X Max XX.X
Oil Pres. XX Max XX.X

I'm trying to put a display in my dash, using a PDA that with button to reset the Max value. Possibly even use an Audible warning when a set value is exceeded. Would something like this be possible with this software. Very similar to the Commander but would be easier to see, AFR could be included and Warnings could be set. I would like to test a laptop or pda version.

Last edited by fritts; 04-24-06 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 07:14 PM
FD title holder since 94

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Can you hook up a wideband to it since that isn't part of the normal data stream the PFC watches?

Tim
Old 04-24-06, 08:49 PM
Powered by** Rotary

Originally Posted by fritts
Will it be useable by a PDA. If so is there a way to just display the values in a format such as below?

AFR XX.X
Boost XX.X Max XX.X
Knock XX Max XX
WTemp XX.X Max XX.X
ATemp XX.X Max XX.X
Oil Pres. XX Max XX.X

I'm trying to put a display in my dash, using a PDA that with button to reset the Max value. Possibly even use an Audible warning when a set value is exceeded. Would something like this be possible with this software. Very similar to the Commander but would be easier to see, AFR could be included and Warnings could be set. I would like to test a laptop or pda version.
That would be awsome... especially if it can be installed on Pocket PC running Windows CE

Amel
Old 04-24-06, 09:38 PM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Ditto on the use of a Pocket PC PDA. I would LOVE to ditch my commander for some sort of useful display. I'd happily buy a PocketPC just for that purpose .

Good work!

Dale
Old 04-25-06, 04:30 AM
ky7

Ok.. I will try to answer all your questions as this thread grows.

Because FCWatch can stream data to the plugins in realtime, how you actually handle / visually display the data values (if you are creating your own custom plugins) is entirely up to you. For example, one idea I had was to make a visual representation of a rotor inside a housing, spinning on a eccentric shaft. You could visually animate the sparks based on IGL, IGT and rotor position based on RPM values. Totally pointless, but a fun example of what is possible! I will leave stuff like this up to you the community to create your own interfaces and plugins. For now I would like to concentrate on completing a basic set of gauges to distribute with the application. So yes, you can represent / convert values to whatever scale you wish for display purposes or whatever you like! There is a peak hold function in the basic gauges that will ship with FCWatch. At the end of the day, if there are features or visual aspects that you want in a plugin, you can go ahead and create it yourself!

Skotx, software is written in trusty Borland Delphi. Initial comms layer for testing using Python.. and stay tuned for developments on the Linux front..

The gauges are partly fixed vector graphic so they scale perfectly. For the plugins in the screenshot, the range, increments, associated number values and positioning of the needle are all generated dynamically in code. You could create an entirely graphical gauge, and simply position the needle based on values streaming to your plugin. I use the code approach for reuse and flexibility. The interface is Flash and the code is ActionScript. There is a basic framework you must use to interface your Flash application with FCWatch for use as a plugin.

Regarding playback. FCWatch was not only designed to be a purely visual application. It is actually a visual front end for logging data. There is built in functionality for logging data and playback. Raw logs can be exported to basic formats like FC-Edit or imported to Excel etc. There are options for automatic logging, logging on application startup etc.

Regarding interface, unlike FC-Edit etc, this application was designed from the ground up for use "in-car". It is designed with a view to touch screen applications and as such there is a full screen mode. Static screenshots don't entirely do FCWatch justice. As you can see from one of the screen shots above, you can select any display size and resolution supported by your graphics card. You can automatically switch resolutions during full screen mode.

All the main menu functions etc have associated shortcut keys which in future you will be able to custom define.

You can also use / create interactive plugins. For example, you could create a boost switch or interface for any of the basic adjustments you can currently make with the Apexi Commander. This is a feature that will probably be incorporated into a "fully interactive" version of FCWatch. Note it is not my intention to replace some of the excellent software out there for actually fully calibrating your PowerFC, just to provide similar on-the-fly functionality as per the Commander unit.

LUPE, regarding anit-lag / two step - I'm not so sure about providing for bespoke features like this, which are really specific to a box like FC-Datalogit. I'm sure you could twist my arm and I will look into it, but I would like to concentrate on delivering the main feature initially..

Rotarypower101, this software will work with FC-Datalogit box, Kashi box and most likely any other box that provides serial communication with the PowerFC. A friend of mine is looking into a hardware solution.. but we have other plans for this which are not related to FCWatch. It would not be entirely practical to have numerous applications communicating over the one COM port simultaneously, so this functionality is not planned. FCWatch logs data, so you can use this for analysis and FC-Edit or whatever for calibrations at a later stage. Regarding availability, very soon (coming week or so). I just need to finish some testing. I can make releases fairly rapid since I am concentrating on the RX-7 community initially. So what if I'm biased! Regarding cost, it is not something I have considered..

Tim, yes there is support for wideband feedback.

Regarding PDA frittz.. this will be for future versions. It seems your requirements are very basic, so I will see if I can accomodate your needs as a seperate project? Really, this software was envisioned for a CarPC type setup as I say. I wanted something more versatile than a pocket pc, and mini-itx is the way to go.

Keep up the good feedback and thanks!
Old 04-25-06, 04:38 AM
just dont care.

hoyl crap you need to make this for haltech!
Old 04-25-06, 09:36 AM
ky7

Originally Posted by jacobcartmill
hoyl crap you need to make this for haltech!
This will be considered for future versions. Anyone care to donate a haltech for development purposes?
Old 04-26-06, 12:18 PM
sdrawkcab

Another question, how hard would it be to have integrated software that would make a audible alert from a preset maximum value?

Say if another application is running on top, and FC Watch was running in the background, but you still would like to monitor certain variables, for a maximum value, or even a minimum value?

Could this be a option?
Old 04-26-06, 12:45 PM
just dont care.

Originally Posted by ky7
This will be considered for future versions. Anyone care to donate a haltech for development purposes?

**** i will donate for this.

e6k software like this would be like heaven.

vito was making something like this for e6k and e6x, but apparently he dropped off the face of the earth.
Old 04-26-06, 12:53 PM
ky7

Originally Posted by jacobcartmill
**** i will donate for this.

e6k software like this would be like heaven.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it jacob...

Originally Posted by rotarypower101
Another question, how hard would it be to have integrated software that would make a audible alert from a preset maximum value?

Say if another application is running on top, and FC Watch was running in the background, but you still would like to monitor certain variables, for a maximum value, or even a minimum value?

Could this be a option?
If you like short answers.. Yes!

Plugins can include sounds, bells, whistles, armpit fart noises.. whatever you like. Plugins are event driven, you can adapt or create your own custom plugins to trigger behaviours or manipulate the channel values to suit your needs, both graphically and with sound.

I might include sound in some of the distribution plugins to illustrate this..

Last edited by ky7; 04-26-06 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 04:05 PM
sdrawkcab

Please do, I think this would be a great feature that seems to be missing from almost every software I have encountered.

Or maybe even a setting that would make a gauge or window jump to the top if a maximum value were to be exceeded for the duration of the maximum value being exceeded, then pop back down.

I can imagine this would be good for not only engine safety with boost, fuel pressure, water temperature ect, but if hard runs were to be made intermittently this could/would pop up a series of windows automatically, but then pop back out of view after critical areas are not present.

How hard of a language in your opinion is this to learn for a novice?
I have a little C++ under my belt, but I loathed every minute of it.
Old 04-27-06, 04:08 AM
ky7

FCWatch is an MDI type application (however it does not use MDI). As such, plugin windows are child windows of the application, and can only come to the top within the application. I have been thinking about providing a feature where you can detatch the plugins from the application window.. something I hope to implement in the future. I will encorporate a function which allows you to control the plugin window z-order to some degree, from within the plugin. Good call!
Old 05-09-06, 08:30 AM

any news? when we can test?
Old 05-09-06, 12:17 PM
Greek Geek

WOW!

Excellent try, good work! I need this stuff!
Old 05-09-06, 06:00 PM
sdrawkcab

I also wanted to ask if the FCwatch site was going to go up soon so we can read about the details of your software?

“Sorry, 'www.fcwatch.com' does not exist or is not available!”
Old 05-10-06, 04:50 AM
ky7

Coming soon.

I'm putting the finishing touches to a pre release of the software which will I will distribute for testing. Hopefully this week. I'm doing this on my own time, which is scarce at the moment. The bulk of the work I am doing at the moment is creating a comprehensive set of graphical plugins to display each data channel. Also, need to implement playback functions in the software for log analysis.
Old 05-16-06, 10:13 AM
DGRR 2017 4/26-4/30, 2017

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me know.. I would like to test it out!
Herblenny@gmail.com
Old 05-18-06, 02:13 AM

This looks awesome! Cant wait till it's ready!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power FC New software for Power FC users! FCWatch preview.