1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

RX-8 transmission in a GSL-SE?

Old 09-02-05, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX-8 transmission in a GSL-SE?

I am getting a GSL-SE soon, and I want to know if this is possible. The tranny was my favorite part (other than looks and suspension) of the RX-8 I drove couple times. Any help would be good.
Old 09-02-05, 12:07 PM
Burning Oil-Grinding 3rd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has been said that the 8 trans does not have a speed O output like a normal trans.
Old 09-02-05, 01:54 PM
Blood, Sweat and Rotors

it's a stronger tranny, 6 speed, bolts up to motor but do not know if length or shifter location is comparable to 1st gen.
Old 09-02-05, 02:15 PM

its not stronger its a piece of crap ,i broke one in a friends car autocrossing,the GSL-SE is much stronger i run one on my GSL-SE with 437rwhp and i only broke it once.or just go with a t2 trans with 93 guts ,that will take just about anything.
Old 09-02-05, 06:33 PM
REW'd FB

Originally Posted by lucky7305
its not stronger its a piece of crap ,i broke one in a friends car autocrossing,the GSL-SE is much stronger i run one on my GSL-SE with 437rwhp and i only broke it once.or just go with a t2 trans with 93 guts ,that will take just about anything.

I agree I have only heard bad things about the strength of the 8 tranny. Go with a TII tranny. More than enough. What is wrong with the SE tranny?
Old 09-02-05, 06:56 PM
Rotartist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To sum it up there were a lot of threads about this when the Rx-8 came out... The #1 failure on the Rx-8 has been the tranny, some people were blowing them when they were autocrossing and MAZDA refused to honor the WARRANTEE!!! I would look into a Miata 6-speed tranny and fab in the rear end..
Old 09-02-05, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the turbo II tranny and the GSL-SE are the ones i'd recomend the turbo two being the heaviest and the depending on the combo you're using you may need a custom drveshaft and in that case Mazdatrix is whom i recomend
Old 09-02-05, 11:20 PM

Cool. Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-02-05, 11:59 PM
love the braaaap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RRTEC
To sum it up there were a lot of threads about this when the Rx-8 came out... The #1 failure on the Rx-8 has been the tranny, some people were blowing them when they were autocrossing and MAZDA refused to honor the WARRANTEE!!! I would look into a Miata 6-speed tranny and fab in the rear end..
I don't blame mazda for not honouring the warrantee. Think about it, why should mazda replace something that was used in a way not advised by mazda. Should they replace a tranny that broke from use of sticky tires on a drag strip? I think not. Its the same as with insurance. Insurance doesn't cover dick all if you crash your car during any kind of race.
Old 09-03-05, 05:01 AM
Rotary Freak

hahaha a rx8 at a drag strip, thats funny.
Old 09-03-05, 10:22 AM
REW'd FB

Hey don't laugh they are faster then some of our cars...
Old 09-03-05, 12:13 PM
Rotartist

Originally Posted by 85rotarypower
I don't blame mazda for not honouring the warrantee. Think about it, why should mazda replace something that was used in a way not advised by mazda. Should they replace a tranny that broke from use of sticky tires on a drag strip? I think not. Its the same as with insurance. Insurance doesn't cover dick all if you crash your car during any kind of race.

The guy in our club that blew his tranny autoxing was GIVEN his SCCA membership BY THE DEALER!!! as a part of his purchase... Zoom ZOOM my ***, they advertise them as a round about sports car and give out autocrossing memberships then don't honor the warr... Ok that's fair :}
Old 09-03-05, 12:19 PM
Wankle Waffles

^^ There was a giant controversy over that same subject when Subaru gave out free SCCA memberships with the WRX.

Its common practice for a roundabout way to void the contract.
Old 09-03-05, 12:20 PM
REW'd FB

The guy in our club that blew his tranny autoxing was GIVEN his SCCA membership BY THE DEALER!!! as a part of his purchase... Zoom ZOOM my ***, they advertise them as a round about sports car and give out autocrossing memberships then don't honor the warr... Ok that's fair :}

I agree with you. I can usually understand how a company would not warr a tranny, but if they gave him a SCCA membership that is their mistake. At that point as a business you are just asking for it...
Old 09-03-05, 12:33 PM
Burning Oil-Grinding 3rd

Judge Ito Broke 2 trans and 1 rear in his Rx8 at the Strip.
Old 09-03-05, 01:07 PM
Wankle Waffles

Judge Ito is a boost and nitrous *****, but still one of the best examples of how crappy they are.

I would personally get a Miata 6 speed and swap in some Turbo II internals like final drive. I think fc3s.org has a good writeup and comparison of Miata to FC trannies.
Old 09-03-05, 01:24 PM
love the braaaap

I did not know this. I don't personally know anyone that has an RX-8, nor have I heard about this anywhere. Either way, was that membership authorized by MAZDA itself? If not, then its up to the dealer to take care of the broken transmission.

It wasn't only subaru that was making a fuss about this kinda stuff. Mitsubishi almost went under because of all the **** they started with not fulfilling warrantees with the Evo.

On another note, just because the tranny is a new design doesn't make it stronger. Just the fact that its a 6 speed makes it a weaker tranny. I would think that to fit another gear into the same tranny case, you would have to make things smaller to fit. Making things smaller generally makes them weaker.
Old 09-03-05, 06:51 PM

RX-8 Tranny debacle

As an owner/driver of a Mazdaspeed Rx-8 Challenge Cup Car, I can tell you that the achilles heel in this car is the transmission. Mazda won't allow me or any other sponsered drivers to enter any Endurance races for this very fact. Stick to a turbo II.
Old 09-04-05, 04:04 AM
FD > FB > FC

Originally Posted by Tranquil
Judge Ito is a boost and nitrous *****, but still one of the best examples of how crappy they are.

I would personally get a Miata 6 speed and swap in some Turbo II internals like final drive. I think fc3s.org has a good writeup and comparison of Miata to FC trannies.
the miata 6 speed is the same tranny in the rx8, its just as weak. The 5 speed miata trannys are stronger than the 6 speeds
Old 09-04-05, 04:18 AM
The Shadetree Project

Yep Mazda and Subaru were giving out SCCA memberships with purchase and voiding warrienties for people who races. Subaru actually hierd people to go to scca events and record people who were racing cars and their warrienties for anything was voided. Including things that were not broken from racing...
Old 09-04-05, 04:26 AM
The Shadetree Project

Originally Posted by 85rotarypower
I did not know this. I don't personally know anyone that has an RX-8, nor have I heard about this anywhere. Either way, was that membership authorized by MAZDA itself? If not, then its up to the dealer to take care of the broken transmission.

It wasn't only subaru that was making a fuss about this kinda stuff. Mitsubishi almost went under because of all the **** they started with not fulfilling warrantees with the Evo.

On another note, just because the tranny is a new design doesn't make it stronger. Just the fact that its a 6 speed makes it a weaker tranny. I would think that to fit another gear into the same tranny case, you would have to make things smaller to fit. Making things smaller generally makes them weaker.
umm your theory on the 6th gear is wrong. for example cars where the R is next to 1st gear have an empty ole right after 5th gear just waiting for a 6th gear. Just ask the A1 and A2 VW guys!
Old 09-04-05, 04:43 AM
Rotary Freak

so i guess a 6 speed from a ford tranny will do
Old 09-04-05, 09:01 AM
RAWR

Originally Posted by hornbm
the miata 6 speed is the same tranny in the rx8, its just as weak. The 5 speed miata trannys are stronger than the 6 speeds
i second the motion
Old 09-08-05, 07:38 AM
Rotary Freak

i wonder how much for the ford trannies and where can i get a adapter plate for it for my gsl-se
Old 09-08-05, 10:54 AM
Blood, Sweat and Rotors

oh, didn't know they had *that many* failures. ouch. one would think a higher output engine would get a trans that can take more oomph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX-8 transmission in a GSL-SE?