3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 10:34 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.

Just sharing.
I ordered a kit from the group buy and it was here before I could blink. The install is very straight forward.

I have absolutely no space under my hood to mount the water pump so I installed it in the rear where the jack used to be. Then ran the water pickup to the passenger side bin. I used some NP fittings and ran the hose through the bin and just having it picking up from a bottle in the bin. No bottle there yet...Actually thinking of just making a water proof partition and just making the passenger bin my WI bottle

The install took me about 8 hours..Mainly becuase I ripped out all my rear plastic out including the bins...Then I soldered and heat shrunk all my connections and just tried my best to do a pro job...

First thing we did was to put the injector in the windshield and go for a run...came on right around 8-9psi and gave a nice mist....Funny because me and my bud were ready to hit the road and test it and then realised we didn't even have any water ..

So there we are screaming down city streets with my friend in the passenger seat holding a gallon bottle of water the hose sticking in it. Seems to work fine...Haven't driven it since I drilled and tapped the greddy elbow for the injector so that will be tomorrow. Also still have to wire in a switch to turn it on and off.

Here are some photos.

This is a shot of the injector in the windshielf after we went for a test run.

Where I mounted the pump and ran the lines.

Here's the filter on the injector after I tapped the greddy elbow and screwed it in.

Complete assembly in the elbow....Thinking about getting the right angle connection for injector...Just seems like it would make the mist flow better....That should probably come with the kit but it's optional.

This is where I drilled and installed the NP fittings in the passenger bin (this is the back side of the bin).

Attached Thumbnails CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0042.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0044.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0046.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0050.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0052.jpg  

Old 03-25-05, 10:37 PM

This is the pickup in the bin

And here's when the pump assembly is all covered up...I will install a water filter in that black hose running across the pump...I placed it there so it will be pretty easy to swap filters.

Attached Thumbnails CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0054.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0055.jpg  
Old 03-25-05, 11:30 PM
boost > *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like a really clean install, water injection will def find its way onto mine sooner than later. let us know how u like it
Old 03-25-05, 11:54 PM
rotors + turbos = bliss

what is the purpose of water injection?
Old 03-26-05, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Madmax670
what is the purpose of water injection?
****...I don't know...everyone else is doing it so I figured "What the hell!"

No, really. You can lower you intake temps with water injection....lower intake temps mean more hp....If you don't tune for it, then it's more of a security device against detonation. Some people actually tune with the water injection but IMO it's a bit risky since you are fooked if you run out of water or the WI system fails.
Old 03-26-05, 01:50 AM
bow leggin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm, I have way to many projects going on right now to be doing the water injection. How much did you pay for it? I'd like to get it eventually....very clean install btw
Old 03-26-05, 04:00 AM

I am in on the group buy too. Can't wait to start the install.

Nice job dude, very clean.

I am just trying to decide where to put the pump and tank. I don't want to lose my jack, and cos my car is JDM, I got no storage bin, just minature back seats.
Old 03-26-05, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scrub
hmm, I have way to many projects going on right now to be doing the water injection. How much did you pay for it? I'd like to get it eventually....very clean install btw
Checkout the group buy in my sig.

Originally Posted by coolingmist
Thanks for reading this. We had a very successful group buy last summer and would like to offer another. Thanks to jason for letting us post this.

Our prices will be below. We have 4 different kits that will qualify for the group buy. The sales breakdown will be 1-4, 5-10, 11-15 and 16+. We can sell any combination of kits to get the discount. In otherwords if we sell 6 kits you get the 5-10 price break on any of the kits. Last summer we sold well over 20 kits during our group buy so its very possible to hit the special price break at 16.

Our kits all come with a 90 day warranty.

The group buy will run until March 31, 2005. If you are interested in a kit, you have several options:

1) leave a $100 deposit for the kit. You do not have to pay the balance until April 3, 2005. You will owe balance on the kit at what ever the price break is.
2) You can pay in full for the kit now, it ships the same day you make payment. We will refund the balance of the group buy to your card or paypal account when the group buy finishes.

If you are in and want to leave a deposit I will create a link where you can pay your deposit on our secure server with a credit card or paypal account. You will need to create an account on our site and go through our checkout process. This will keep your address and payment information on our server so we can keep track of your order, etc. Shipping runs $15 on each kit domestic.

We tried this approach last time and had great success with it.

We would sell the kits at discount prices from the following sales

Delux Dual Stage Kit Performance Package

read about it here:
http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=01P

Retails for $499.

1-4

Group by price $479

5-10
Group buy price $445

11-15
group buy price $399

16+

Our Deluxe Dual Stage Kit:
Read about it here: http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=01

Retails for $349

1-4

Group by price $329

5-10
Group buy price $300

11-15
group buy price $285

16+

$275

Our Single Stage Performance Package:

Read about it here: http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=02P

Retails for $359
1-4

Group by price $339
5-10
Group buy price $325
11-15
group buy price $315

16+

Deluxe Single Stage Kit
See it here: http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=02

retails for 239

1-4

Group by price $229
5-10
Group buy price $215
11-15
group buy price $210

16+
Old 03-26-05, 10:31 AM

Maybe I missed it, but which kit did you get?
Old 03-26-05, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by nickpapagiorgio
Maybe I missed it, but which kit did you get?
Deluxe Single Stage Kit
See it here: http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=02

retails for 239

1-4

Group by price $229
5-10
Group buy price $215
11-15
group buy price $210

16+
Old 03-26-05, 10:49 AM
3rd motors a charm I hope

Mine is on the way. I cant wait to get it. I dont feel like blowing another motor, so I am getting some insurance . Nice install man, you look like your were pretty meticulous with the install. Post on the difference in feel between having it on and having it off. Please be honest with your post (dont say it feels much better if it doesnt just to try to convince yourself something, lol) Peace out, and I am looking forward to reading your review (good or bad).

Adam
Old 03-26-05, 10:50 AM
3rd motors a charm I hope

P.S. I got the dual stage deluxe kit
Old 03-26-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by fastcarfreak
Mine is on the way. I cant wait to get it. I dont feel like blowing another motor, so I am getting some insurance . Nice install man, you look like your were pretty meticulous with the install. Post on the difference in feel between having it on and having it off. Please be honest with your post (dont say it feels much better if it doesnt just to try to convince yourself something, lol) Peace out, and I am looking forward to reading your review (good or bad).

Adam
I'm not one to lie to myself...especially when it come to my car. Going to the dyno next weekend and will do a pull with it on and one off.
Old 03-26-05, 12:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There was an old post by Zerobanger (David) of Coolingmist when he ran his car in the 1/4....basically there was no change in his trap speeds, which is expected as he wasn't (and didn't) want to tune for WI. The thing that he did notice was that his knock reading on his PFC went down into the single digits. Also there was a subjective feeling that the car seemed to "pull" harder almost like the feeling of driving the car during a cold night.

Apnea, are you going to tune for WI then? What are you going to aim your AFR for?

Also, I was just wondering about spark plugs as in an older post. Would running a colder plug be inappropriate with a WI system and much better with the stock "hotter" plugs?
Old 03-26-05, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 7racer

Apnea, are you going to tune for WI then? What are you going to aim your AFR for?
Going to tune for 11:1 - 11.5:1 without...The after tune flip it on...I am tuned about 10.1/10.3:1 right now and running race plugs...Was wondering the same thing about the plugs too...Wonder if I can run 9s all around now...I have 9s trailing and Greddy race plugs in the leading...Had them in when I was trying to tune for 18psi but stock ignition kept us back. Now that I have the HKStp and WI I am not sure if I still need to be running these race plugs.
Old 03-26-05, 12:51 PM

Maybe Zerobanger can chime in about the plugs. I am also running the Twin Power. Keeps us posted.
Old 03-26-05, 12:57 PM
J_J
S2K

I've got the same dual-stage kit.

I had the reservoir and pump mounted in the trunk though.
Old 03-26-05, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by J_J
I've got the same dual-stage kit.

I had the reservoir and pump mounted in the trunk though.
Have anything to add about how the car feels with / without WI?
Old 03-26-05, 01:31 PM

Apnea,

I have my parts splayed out on the kitchen table trying to imagine where I going to put everything. Where did you install your harness? Can you take some pics?
Old 03-26-05, 03:42 PM
J_J
S2K

Originally Posted by apneablue
Have anything to add about how the car feels with / without WI?
I thought it's not supposed to make a difference at all in feel? I basically haven't noticed anything different about the car...but I feel a lot more at ease when driving the car now that water injection is installed.
Old 03-26-05, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by J_J
I thought it's not supposed to make a difference at all in feel? I basically haven't noticed anything different about the car...but I feel a lot more at ease when driving the car now that water injection is installed.
I've heard some people say they notice it pulls a little harder. Must be some placebo effect.
Old 03-26-05, 04:18 PM
J_J
S2K

Have you noticed it pulled harder? I'm not really sure since most of my driving is on the freeway. I think some people are injecting methanol for detonation resistance and potential higher power output, but water is supposed to have better heat absorbing qualities than fuel so I've been using just water.

Last edited by J_J; 03-26-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 7racer
Apnea,

I have my parts splayed out on the kitchen table trying to imagine where I going to put everything. Where did you install your harness? Can you take some pics?
The boost sensor is ty-wrapped to the firewall behind the elbow.

The relay is just hanging out right here now but I will use a self tapping screw and screw it in right beside the twin power.

The water solonid I ty-wrapped it to the metal bracket right beside the brake/clutch fluid resovor (sp).

Be sure to use that pipe thread tape on all your NP connections or the will leak for sure.
Attached Thumbnails CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0058.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0059.jpg   CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.-pict0060.jpg  
Old 03-26-05, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by J_J
Have you noticed it pulled harder? I'm not really sure since most of my driving is on the freeway. I think some people are injecting methanol for detonation resistance and potential higher power output, but water is supposed to have better heat absorbing qualities than fuel so I've been using just water.

I wonder if water injection can make more power power indirectly, like lowering knock noise picked up by the sensor or modifying running conditions which in turn permits the ecu to run more aggressive timing.
I haven't driven it yet. Going downstairs now to wire up the switch and light then later tonight go play around.

I know some people are using a methanol/water mix...like a 50/50 mix or something. But then i read that methanol will dry out your seals..any truth to this?
Old 03-26-05, 04:40 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you just using silicone hoses to run the water through?

Quick Reply: CoolingMist Water Injection Installed.