2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Installing s4 jspec intakes

Old 04-24-04, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing s4 jspec intakes

I have 8 pictures of the s4 aspec and jspec intakes showing the differences and having a few questions with them...if someone could upload for me...I am having problems with the server for some reason.

Anyways I just notice there are only 2 nipples on the back side of the uim on the jspec intake....there was 4 on the a-spec. So i am not sure exactly what to do with all the air bleed vac hoses that went there before.

Also there is a break booster hose on the intake...and there wasnt on the aspec...I am just going to block that off then...is that ok? Also there are a few little gadgets on the back and on top of the aspec LIM that wont go anywhere on the jspec LIM which I have no idea what to do with then. Just not going to hook them up I guess???

I figure just hook up what i know and the stuff that wont go into the jspec intake manifolds I just leave off and dont worry about??

The pictures will show more of what im talking about if someone can upload them.

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-24-04 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 04:46 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

i wouldnt block off the brake booster, its kinda hard to stop the car without it. I had to stop it once when it was rolling with the motor off, very hard.
Old 04-24-04, 04:47 PM

Well yeah...but If the brake booster is on the TB for the aspec stuff...wouldnt it still be there considering i didnt change the TB?

so it should still have the brake booster all hooked up...just not the same spot as the jspec.

Also im looking at the haynes manual right now...and I remember reading that like 2 or 3 of the solenoids are hooked to the ACV...which i do not have anymore. But not sure which ones they are.....but im assuming its #2-4...Switching solenoid valce...pressure regulator control solenoid valve and relief solenoid valve? ....since there is also EGR solenoid valve...and the twin scroll valve...so its obviously not them. But i guess I could remove the EGE valve now too then huh? since the jspec intake manifolds dont have them. Does this sound correct so far?

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-24-04 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 06:56 PM

OK..apperently these work now.....can someone delete the post before this...since the pics dont work

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/f8e5cc02.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/f8e5cbfd.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...c/f8e5cbea.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/f8e5cbf6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/f8e5cc01.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/f8e5cbf3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/f8e5cbef.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/f8e5cbe7.jpg

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-24-04 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 07:43 PM

anyone?
Old 04-24-04, 08:05 PM

Alright I think I figured out what is going on with this now.

but...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/f8e5a711.jpg

I believe it goes to the one not in red! is that correct?

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-24-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 08:18 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Installing s4 jspec intakes

I haven't looked at the pics, but I know the J-spec manifold well, since I have one,
Originally posted by Husemoller
...there are only 2 nipples on the back side of the uim on the jspec intake....there was 4 on the a-spec. So i am not sure exactly what to do with all the air bleed vac hoses that went there before.
The big one on both manifolds is for the oil nozzle line. The one at the bottom of the US-spec manifold is for the double-throttle system, which can be left disconnected (or removed during the TB mod). The other small ones are the injector air bleeds. The J-spec only has them for the secondary injectors. You can run one line from the J-spec manifold and tee it to the two injector bleeds on your engine.
Also there is a break booster hose on the intake...and there wasnt on the aspec...I am just going to block that off then...is that ok?
There is a connection for the brake booster on the US-spec manifold, it's just in a different place because the brake booster's on the other side of the engine bay. You still need to connect the brake booster up or you'll have no braking assistance. You'll need to run a new line to connect the manifold to the booster. Don't forget to put the check valve in.
Also there are a few little gadgets on the back and on top of the aspec LIM that wont go anywhere on the jspec LIM which I have no idea what to do with then.
The only extra things the US-spec manifold had on it were the EGR valve (LIM) and the AWS solenoid valve for the 3000rpm start-up (UIM). Just leave them off.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-04, 08:55 PM

So T up all 3? seconday ..primary...and oil injector air bleed?

And I havnt wentout side to look at the brakebooster thing... but is the checkvalve the little green thing that is on the side of the TB and uim?
Old 04-25-04, 01:11 AM
I'm a boost creep...

So T up all 3? seconday ..primary...and oil injector air bleed?
No, the big nipple is for the oil nozzles, the small one is for the injector bleeds.

...is the checkvalve the little green thing that is on the side of the TB and uim?
No, that's the check valve for the double throttle system. The brake booster check valve is inside its hose.
Old 04-25-04, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by NZConvertible
No, the big nipple is for the oil nozzles, the small one is for the injector bleeds.
Yeah...But wouldnt I T up all 3 then to the small one? both primary and secondary airbleeds then the oil injector air bleed?

Originally posted by NZConvertible
No, that's the check valve for the double throttle system. The brake booster check valve is inside its hose.
Ok...so leave that disconnected. Was confused about that hehe.

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-25-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 05:32 PM
I'm a boost creep...

...wouldnt I T up all 3 then to the small one? both primary and secondary airbleeds then the oil injector air bleed?
Why would you do that? You have a big hose (oil nozzles) that goes on the big nipple. You have two small hoses (injector air bleeds) that can be teed together and go on the small nipple. Simple.
Old 04-25-04, 05:35 PM

eheh i just pmed you right as i seen this! woops

I see now... I just thought there was 3 injector air hoses for some reason...thats why i was getting kind of confused.

Last edited by Husemoller; 04-25-04 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 07:54 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
IT's really not that big a deal, man. NZ is spot on, do exactly what he says. None of what the jspec manifolds deleted matters anyway, except for a visual emissions inspection.
Old 05-08-04, 04:04 PM

Alright I am installing them now and just want to make sure whats going on here now that I am to this point.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/f8be4fdc.jpg

Can I just cap Blue and Red ? I have yellow (fpr) connected to green right now. But I seen some pictures of yellow being connected to blue. so not sure if i should do that and cap green and red.

Now on the UIM there are 2 nipples...the big one and little. I will be capping the big nipple, oil nozzle right? I wont be having my oil injectors anymore. And I was suppose to T 2 lines together into the small ones. I only find one of the air bleed nipples. One being right between where the oil injectors were correct? Where is the other one? Is the other one the Blue circle?

Thanks! sorry for so many questions, I am still not very confident in my work on cars yet.
Old 05-08-04, 04:48 PM

Old 05-08-04, 05:35 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/f8be4fdc.jpg

well I guess the picture didnt work but that one should.

Anyways...i ended up running the blue circle to the yellow circle (fpr)and capped red and green. so then I have the nipple (not shown in pic) that is between the oil injecters going to the nipple on the UIM. and i might run the brake booster to the other bigger nipple on the UIM.So basicly that metal spider is worthless now except for that line going to the twin scroll or w/e its called. I dont really feel like getting into and removing all that junk right now. getting sick of working on the car hehe.

Does this picture seem correct then?
green spots are caped lines.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/f8be1f44.jpg

Last edited by Husemoller; 05-08-04 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-08-04, 06:09 PM

Well the thing is, usually when peeps go with Jspec manifolds they go bare block... in that case I have the nipps memorized... I'm replying from the link on teamFC. I scimmed thru this, but am wondering what your current connections look like... any reason you couldn't go bare block?
Old 05-08-04, 06:16 PM

well actually i bought used s4 intake manifolds....and they ended up being jspec. so didnt really plan on all this.
Old 05-08-04, 07:17 PM

&^
Old 05-08-04, 09:44 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Can I just cap Blue and Red ? I have yellow (fpr) connected to green right now. But I seen some pictures of yellow being connected to blue. so not sure if i should do that and cap green and red.
Yellow should be connected to blue.
Now on the UIM there are 2 nipples...the big one and little. I will be capping the big nipple, oil nozzle right? I wont be having my oil injectors anymore.
Correct.
And I was suppose to T 2 lines together into the small ones. I only find one of the air bleed nipples. One being right between where the oil injectors were correct? Where is the other one? Is the other one the Blue circle?
This might help you.

Anyways...i ended up running the blue circle to the yellow circle (fpr)and capped red and green. so then I have the nipple (not shown in pic) that is between the oil injecters going to the nipple on the UIM.
Correct.
...and i might run the brake booster to the other bigger nipple on the UIM.
Um, if you want power-assisted brakes, that's not optional! Braking will be very difficult without it.
So basicly that metal spider is worthless now except for that line going to the twin scroll or w/e its called.
The twin-scroll solenoid and check valve can be removed from the rack and replumbed with rubber lines. Follow the schematic on page 4B-53 of the FSM, making sure you follow it exactly. If you install them the wrong way around it won't work. You'll then be able to remove the vac rack entirely (I thought that's what you were doing anyway) and run new fuel lines.
Old 07-22-04, 12:01 PM

So basicly just run a line from the twin scroll to that top nipple like i drew on here
Attached Thumbnails Installing s4 jspec intakes-s4emissionsremoval2.jpg  
Old 07-23-04, 06:24 AM
I'm a boost creep...

No, you connect it up like I've shown (follow the arrows). If you don't install the solenoid and check valve, it will not work.