2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

pushrod activated suspension idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 04:48 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb pushrod activated suspension idea

While measuring the inside of my wheel well to determine how fat of a tire i could fit, i got a bright idea.

If i replaced the shock with a formed bar, and had it connect to a set of shocks that connect between the rear shock towers.

what i discovered, is by doing this, it allows you to fit a 14" wide rear tire, without any fender modification. There are also obviously performance benefits from the loss of sprung weight in the suspension too.

Please guys, let me know if there is a possible market for a bolt in kit for something like this. I am not about to start selling right now obviously, i am just curious, because i think i will be making one for myself.

-Zander
Old 08-03-09, 04:55 PM
Forward, Always

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
having a hard time picturing it, could u do a crude drawing?
Old 08-03-09, 05:05 PM
my fc broke

you gonna make a drag car?
Old 08-03-09, 05:17 PM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
That sort of suspension- long used in F1 and various supercars- requires an enormous amount of engineering and fabrication experience.
I can't even imagine such a conversion as a "bolt-in kit".
Old 08-03-09, 05:58 PM
Fistful of steel

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clokker
That sort of suspension- long used in F1 and various supercars- requires an enormous amount of engineering and fabrication experience.
Exactly right.
Old 08-03-09, 06:05 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, that's a good idea but the packaging is tight and I don't think it's worth the effort. Plus I wouldn't want to be driving if the bell cranks failed. Even with finite element analysis to guide the design it's difficult to estimate the loads caused by a big bump.

Here's an example of inboard shocks on a fsae car. Do a google search for 'fsae bell cranks' and 'inboard suspension'

Old 08-03-09, 06:28 PM
Mac Attack

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Only thing about an FSAE car, when that stuff fails, you aren't 1. Spending more money then you need to replace a custom part, or 2. careening into adjacent lanes, or even worse, oncoming lanes!

FEA is key! If you've got the resources to do it, go for it!
Old 08-03-09, 06:56 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by clokker
I'm going to have to disagree with this.

It could very easily be a "bolt on kit", or more like a "weld on kit"

there would be a little X brace between the two rear shock towers, with a horizontal bar passing between the top of the towers. Placed on top of each shock tower will be a little CNC'd lever, which will connect to the suspension element. The shocks will both connect somewhere in the middle.

here is a build thread, being done in a civic:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2040195

Old 08-03-09, 07:14 PM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaotic_FC
I'm going to have to disagree with this.
Of course you would.

Good luck, post pics of what you come up with.
Old 08-03-09, 07:54 PM
Rotary Freak

I would be very cautious about anything you read in SUPER STREET. Those guys think winning is an ice man cold air intake. I hate how the NOZZZZ bottles are mounted high up so they can be seen through the windows.

I dare you to find me picture of front on board suspension.
Old 08-03-09, 08:02 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

you shouldn't dare me

Name:  1248420-R1-052-24A.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  1248420-R1-040-18A.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 08-03-09, 08:14 PM
Fistful of steel

I have no doubt you could do it and make it function. It is really not that complicated. The questions is it really worth it... and woudl it be any better.... not really.

On an FC you are going to hit the rear trailing arm before you hit the strut anyway.
Old 08-03-09, 08:20 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by LargeOrangeFont
I have no doubt you could do it and make it function. It is really not that complicated. The questions is it really worth it... and woudl it be any better.... not really.

On an FC you are going to hit the rear trailing arm before you hit the strut anyway.
the reason why i am doing it is to be able to fit a 345 M/T ET street radial in the stock fenders.

and god damn.. i just went out and looked for myself, and you're right about the rear trailing arm. I guess I would have to make a set of those as well.. or modify the existing one.
Old 08-03-09, 08:28 PM
Forward, Always

hondas have alot of room in the engine bay. rx7s have a lot of engine room but after seeing those pics and how it would have to mount, i think it would be very difficult to get them to fit. with ppl running larger turbos plus the brake master cyl and res. and the clutch res. and ignition coils etc. i dont doubt that the back could be made to work, but the front i really cant see the front happening. if u do get a set going id very much like to see it
Old 08-03-09, 08:51 PM
Roxann7

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why don't you finish that body kit you were making first? I honestly think this is more trouble than it's worth. As the other guy said, it's gonna hit the rear trailing arm first.
Old 08-03-09, 09:09 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by GreatShamanGT
Why don't you finish that body kit you were making first? I honestly think this is more trouble than it's worth. As the other guy said, it's gonna hit the rear trailing arm first.
I was going to make that to fit wide rear tires, this is my alternative.
however, i have to finish building my engine first.
Old 08-03-09, 09:27 PM

i applaud you for your intuitive and innovative ideas. that's the stuff that keeps car guys in the game. maybe this idea won't work, maybe it will. but Chaotic is brave for thinking of trying something not normally used in FC's. Keep trying different things as that is what will make you an expert fabricator and all these naysayers will someday be asking you to build something for them.
i have a friend that i worked with at a performance shop, and he was always creating fast and crazy projects. He started in the same way and now his own shop is busy and packed with work. his shop has cars that are full race cars to sick street cars. He is also my age so he started earlier than me, which makes me motivated in my projects. This all started with him and a welder.
Old 08-03-09, 10:01 PM
Rotary Motoring

Received 763 Likes on 505 Posts
I remember seeing an "area 51" *I think* FD with inboard shocks mounted on the back of the rollbar or cage many years ago.

Cool, but as others have said make up some trailing arms first for rear tire clearance and sell them please.

I can't believe no one makes trailing arms for us that eliminate the triaxial hub as well as give clearance for tire and drop weight...

Once (if) you clear the trailing arms the muffler(s) become a tight fit. I had to use steel u-bolts tightened all the way down instead of donuts on the inside to keep my heavy RB mufflers from swinging into the tire while cornering on 275/40-17 on +40 rim.
Old 08-03-09, 10:01 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

thanks for the kind words man (pistones)

and BLUE TII, If this works, i will absolutely be reproducing what i've made, including the trailing arms, and the shock kit.
Old 08-03-09, 10:53 PM
Fistful of steel

Originally Posted by Chaotic_FC
the reason why i am doing it is to be able to fit a 345 M/T ET street radial in the stock fenders.

and god damn.. i just went out and looked for myself, and you're right about the rear trailing arm. I guess I would have to make a set of those as well.. or modify the existing one.
Just put a Ford 8.8 in it.
Old 08-03-09, 11:22 PM
What's the point??

Not an FC, but from FC3Spro.com:

That blue civic with the bike struts in the hatch was the first thing I thought of though.
Old 08-04-09, 01:07 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by BLUE TII
I remember seeing an "area 51" *I think* FD with inboard shocks mounted on the back of the rollbar or cage many years ago.

Cool, but as others have said make up some trailing arms first for rear tire clearance and sell them please.

I can't believe no one makes trailing arms for us that eliminate the triaxial hub as well as give clearance for tire and drop weight...

Once (if) you clear the trailing arms the muffler(s) become a tight fit. I had to use steel u-bolts tightened all the way down instead of donuts on the inside to keep my heavy RB mufflers from swinging into the tire while cornering on 275/40-17 on +40 rim.
Originally Posted by LargeOrangeFont
Just put a Ford 8.8 in it.
if it was a straight drag car, then it'd be a no brainer... but this is my daily driver, i want overall performance out of this machine.. without wide enough tires, i'm just wasting the horsepower that i'll make out of my 13bppt when its done. That's why im going this route; its the best of both worlds, without the extra cost or looks of a widebody kit.
Old 08-04-09, 04:04 AM
Forward, Always

im with pistones, theres too little ppl trying new stuff out. i do think it be a super tight fit
but if it could be done, itd be bad ***!!
and besides theres ppl doing things that arent near performance related, that are FAR more dangerous than that!
Old 08-04-09, 07:25 AM
My Bick is Digger

Chaotic, I say go for it and do it. It can obviously be done, and it can be marketed. Not that your market will be huge but you can maybe get your cost back out of it. I think it will be badass to see the progress you make with it and post some pics.
Old 08-04-09, 10:39 AM
Rotary Freak

Adams CAR software could help figure out the motion ratio...

Quick Reply: pushrod activated suspension idea