2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

anti-skid deleted brake hard line questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 12:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
anti-skid deleted brake hard line questions

Have the anti-skid removed and looking to clean up the hard lines as it looks like crap on a S5 TII master cylinder/Brk booster. the question I have are since I dropped the rear sub-frame to replace lines fuel/brake.

Does the conventional brake system rear brake long line work with the TII master cyl.? i.e. looks like it should as the proportional valve is the same spot...this way can eliminate that portion of the anti-skid related circuit and do the front at a later date if needed. cheers

Last edited by Nosferatu; 09-04-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 01:48 PM
1308ccs of awesome

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, the only difference between the 2 systems is that the ABS master cylinder has a total of 2 lines (only 1 line for the front wheels, it splits at the ABS block) and the non-ABS master cylinder has a total of 3 lines (2 for each front tire).

The non-abs rearward line goes right into the proportioning valve, the ABS one goes over to the ABS block, then another line comes back over to the proportioning valve (which I assume you now have these 2 lines connected near the ABS block)

that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so here are the brake diagrams:

ABS:

Non-abs:

Old 09-04-15, 02:51 PM

yes...makes sense....sounds like I can replace the rear long line and remove that line to the proportioning valve for the time being...how hard is it to replace the remaining front hard lines?

I'm gathering it would be a bitch to replace the pass. hard line with a non-abs line since the engine is in? I could make a 2 piece line from the abs pass front line , how difficult is it to make lines and what are the fitting type?
Old 09-04-15, 05:31 PM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
All the brake line fittings are 10mm x 1.0.
Most big auto chain stores carry premade (flared w/fittings) hardline, you just bend to the desired shape.
Making up the lines with the engine in place isn't terribly difficult but making them look as nice as OEM can be tricky, just take your time.
Old 09-04-15, 05:35 PM
1308ccs of awesome

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nosferatu
yes...makes sense....sounds like I can replace the rear long line and remove that line to the proportioning valve for the time being...how hard is it to replace the remaining front hard lines?

I'm gathering it would be a bitch to replace the pass. hard line with a non-abs line since the engine is in? I could make a 2 piece line from the abs pass front line , how difficult is it to make lines and what are the fitting type?
nah, it just follows the crease in the firewall across, it's not that complicated and not really close to anything. you might have to unhook a few things.

I actually just bought new pre-made lines from mazda, they're surprisingly affordable. (less than $100 for all of them I think).

make sure you use a 10mmx1.0 inverted flare. bubble flare won't work...
Old 09-04-15, 10:22 PM

I think I'm grasping it....I'll pick up the factory non-abs front lines as well ,run a splitter and massage the factory front non-abs driver line to a splitter on the on the 2 port TII master cylinder... bend autoparts store type premade if needed between the prop. valve and MC ...that sound about right? ...what is a good source for a front brake spliter?..Cloker suggests the Mitsu Montero..but I don't think we have many Mitsubishi models north of the border to rob from.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 09-04-15 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 11:10 PM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Lots of cars use T or Y fittings, anything Japanese would work.
The same parts stores that carry the hardline probably have 'em too.
Old 09-05-15, 02:13 PM

great...I'll give those sources a check...cheers