Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

My 7MGTE swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 06:54 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 7MGTE swap

Well I thought I would go ahead a post pictures of the progress we have made and the problems we are encountering.

The good:

For the most part the is much more bad than good, but on the bright side we are makeing the motor mounts, and getting ready to start makeing the tranny mounts. And those are the biggest things left before we can sit it down off of the engine lift and jack stands. And we also have to patch the fire wall back were it had to be cut so the motor could sit back far enough.

The bad:

Well all the bad, the engine is about 3 inches or so to tall for the hood, so we are going to have to hack up a hood and put some FUNCTIONAL hood scopes on it. The tranny mount ears are to big and are going to have to be cut up so that the turbo supra tranny will fit in the stock RX-7 trannsmission tunnel. Since the T supra tranny is MUCH wider than that TII tranny. Also the shifter is about an inch or so short of being in the middle of the RX-7 shifter hole, so 5th gear with out a short shifter will be a stretch. Also the intake is VERY close to the brake booster, and will most likely give it a love tap when it torques badly, so we'll have to make some torque braces for it to stop that. And about the last bad thing is that the engine is much longer and even after setting it back in the fire wall 3 inches (as far as we could go with out makeing it a ton harder) it is still going to be hard to fit an E-fan inbetween the radiator and lower pully's of the engine. Also the oil pan is very close to the rack and pinion/sway bay, so there are some pretty big clearance problems there, that is why the front of the motor is so high for those of you that were wondering.

And that's about it for now. But here are some pictures of what is done.

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=128

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=129

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=130

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=131

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=132

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=133

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=134

http://www.msnusers.com/fuelcutswitc...to&PhotoID=135
Old 08-25-03, 07:00 PM
Rotary Freak

that engine is such a beast. my friend has a mkIII and that engine is soooo long, i'm suprised it even would fit in a 7 at all. How much does it weigh???
Old 08-25-03, 07:03 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

It weighs a hell of a lot.

Our engine lift was haveing trouble picking it up on the 1,125 lb. point. It probably would have done it, but I didn't want to mess up the 8 ton ram, or the arm. And that is the engine/tranny together.
Old 08-25-03, 07:04 PM
Eat Rice Don't Drive it.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1k+ pounds for an engine/tranny combo
Old 08-25-03, 07:06 PM
Rotary Freak

I wonder how that is going to affect handling of the car... cuz that is gonna be an extra couple hundred pounds on the front end of the car. 7mgte's can make gobbs of power relatively easy though, so if you're just wanting drag than i guess it doesn't matter.
Old 08-25-03, 07:41 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

Yeah, but we compinsated for that, by moveing it back as far as we could. Because we are kinda trying to save the weight balance somewhat.

1k+ pounds for an engine/tranny combo

The things bigger than a freakin truck motor, what do you expect. And it's over twice as big as the 13BT.
Old 08-25-03, 07:41 PM
Meesto Spakaro

yeah and you thought apex seals and o-rings were bad....7mgte....can you say "head gasket"?
Old 08-25-03, 07:48 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

What is with everyone and saying that???

I would seriously like to see any rotary take the abuse, and horse power that a 7MGTE can, and still run for 200,000 miles.

And the head gasket is an easy fix, all you have to do is spend $150 bucks and an HKS metal head gasket, and it will take 25 PSI with no problem.

Along with the fact that the only reasons they blow is because:

1. they weren't torqued down enough from the factory.
2. They usually blow on #6, because #6 is stuck back in a hole were there isn't that much ventilation, and it gets to hot.

Everyone needs to stop saying that, because there are TONS of supra's that have the stock head gasker and are pushing 250,000 miles with nothing more than oil changes and tune ups.
Old 08-25-03, 08:03 PM
Eat Rice Don't Drive it.

This thread doesn't belong here.
Old 08-25-03, 08:06 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

Uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm.......

were does it belong then?

It's in a 2nd gen. Makes sense to me.
Old 08-25-03, 08:08 PM
Eat Rice Don't Drive it.

"Other engine swap" section anyone?
Old 08-25-03, 08:10 PM
Meesto Spakaro

hehe we're just busting your ***** man, it's the old FC vs MA rivalry

I've seen some clean 7m's but it seems that the choice engine swap for MA's is the 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE

for all that fab work, I would think the 1JZGTE would be more economical and has more potential for power
Old 08-25-03, 08:16 PM
I wanta be with the BUC!

Well, I'm a poor hobo, and I only paid $500 bucks for the engine tranny, and pretty much everything else I needed to do the swap. Were as it would have costed me about $1500-2000 for all the same stuff from a 1JZ, along with the fact that I would have had an automagic 1JZ tranny. And a 1JZ has less stroke (less low end torque), and also has been done before.

Also I wish I could buy a 2JZ, unfortinatly a 2JZ front clip cost about 5K. So that is WAY out of my price range. But I'm very happy with the 7MGTE because it is cabable of make 750 HP, and still being 1/2 kinda reliable. Even though I would never take it over 450 or so.
Old 08-25-03, 08:20 PM
Rotary Freak

so what are you gaining from this? a little extra torque?
I can only imagine how much worse that car is going to handle. not only is there tons of added weight to only the front half of the car, but the engine sits much farther forward and much higher in the bay (but I know you already knew that).

but seriously though, whats the point in putting it in an rx7? why not just strip down a supra a little to make up for the weight difference? that'd be MUCH easier, and I'm sure just as fast as putting it in the rx7.
Old 08-25-03, 08:35 PM
Meesto Spakaro

the 7m is an extremely heavy engine...big old cast iron block. The old MA70's weighed in around 3700, 3800 lbs...a lot of that weight was from the engine. To compensate for the extreme weight of the 7m, you'll need to redo your suspension to compensate for the weight. Im not sure how the steering rack and the engine will be situated, but expect a lot of bump steer.
Old 08-25-03, 08:49 PM
Boost Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
well at least it's not a 350 and it did have maroon interior...that's all I have to say--no other comments!!
Old 08-25-03, 09:52 PM
In Full Autist Cosplay

Originally posted by Cory Simpson
The things bigger than a freakin truck motor, what do you expect.

This engine shown is bigger than the supra engine, and is considered the "tiny" or "baby" engine in the trucking world. Just thought I'd clear that up.

They usually blow on #6, because #6 is stuck back in a hole were there isn't that much ventilation, and it gets to hot.
OK, well if that's true, don't you think your going to have a MAJOR problem with that with the way you inserted it into the car?

Looks good so far though I must say, as much as I hate piston swaps into RX7s. At least it's not an N/A V8. Should be good for some serious torque.

IMO, I'm not sure how long the engine/turbo will last when you managed to scoop one up for a mere 500 bucks. They sell for my higher, don't they? I would be wary of a scam, dude.

Good luck with the rest of the swap, you'll need it if your just a poor hobo.
Old 08-25-03, 10:01 PM
I dont know a damn thing

See cory i knew i wouldnt have to say much when you were talking about weight distribution and the power numbers from a 350.....all that could have really been salvaged and the rpms are only a change of cams.... Now your stuck with a motor that is somewhat reliable and makes a decent torque number which your gonna need to haul that new weight around. All i have to say is good luck.
Old 08-25-03, 10:10 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts
Ah, my poor ex-car
Old 08-25-03, 10:19 PM

Well, I'll be honest. I don't like it. Yet, at least it is not a v8 swap. Secondly, I do believe you could have found a better candidate for the swap, then again you have stated yourself that you are cheap.
Old 08-25-03, 10:34 PM
earning these was better

The 1JZ and 7M are unkowns to me, could someone list some specs of both motors and what cars they came in?
Old 08-25-03, 11:34 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This belongs in other engines... Not second gen!
Old 08-25-03, 11:52 PM

Personally I would have put that engine in something even smaller and lighter and made it an all out drag car. What would be a good canidate?(corolla maybe?) Strip it down and have a car under 2000lbs with 450HP. Thats good for single second ETs
Old 08-25-03, 11:53 PM

And man...I don't like to get on people for their decisions. But why didn't you do this to an NA? You could have sold the TII and gotten an NA AND paid for the engine/tranny with the money.
Old 08-26-03, 10:31 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

.. dude I own two MKIII's and the 7m is simply a long block version of the 5m.. an engine desinged way back in the late 70's early 80's.. it's a mess of an engine, it leaks oil from poorly desinged gaskets, it SPEWS overflow, ( I've never had to empty a snot can ( catch can) more then once in 5 years on any car but tis thing on either car needs to be cleaned at least once every 15 months), it's freakin HEAVY! , you've just blown ANY weight balance you had with the 7.. the EGT and all it's very pooch prone parts are impossible to reach in the right engine bay.. good luck with the 7.. and I don't know where you get your engines, but a 1jz-GTTE, with ECU and 5sp is $1800 canadian a NA 2JZ is $ 1500 canadian without tranny..

also the 1JZ and it's long block brother are the next generation of engine, the power you get from a 1jz is much greater then the power any 7M could make.. I don't know where ou got the idea that the 7M was a better engine then the 1jz but go back and slap that person. In fact I'm doing a 1jz-GTTE into my MKIII that I drive, ( as with all mk III's you need at least one if not more donar cars), and using the 7m gte as a 6 port planter in the garden.

Quick Reply: My 7MGTE swap