Originally Posted by rosrex7
Bought and Replaced Battery this morning. attempted to start and there were no changes in the problem
however, on about the 5th crank a puff of smoke came up from the fire wall.. upon inspection, The ground wire that connects the UIM and the fire was has melted..This wire is not connected to anything all the fuses appear to be good.
I am at a loss.. Dont know where to start trouble shooting now.
going to try and push start it to see if that gets the engine to turn over.
This says that you have a MAJOR grounding problem from the engine ***'y to the battery. The wire that melted should never have to carry enough current to even get warm.
As a quick diagnostic, hook a jumper cable from the engine ***'y to the ground side of the battery. If the engine cranks, you definitely have a ground issue.
'93 Base VR, Bought new March 92, w/PFS SMIC & CAI (modified) ; RB Dual Tip CB; HKS DP w/Jet-Hot 2000; Dual "Home-Depot" ceramic-ball & spring MBC's; Linearized stock temperature gauge, Pettit AST.